Saturday, December 19, 2009

Writing toward Home

I'm reading Writing toward Home: Tales and Lessons to Find Your Way by Georgia Heard and wanted to share this quote from Martha Graham to Agnes de Mille (in the chapter Keeping the Channel Open):


"And because there is only one of you in all time, this experience is unique and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium, and be lost. The world will not have it."


This is only part of the entire quote, but it really caught my attention and made me think. Like the author of the book, I will post this quote inside my writing notebook and a couple other places where I will see it often.


I'm only part way through this book. It's not a big book, but I'm savoring each chapter. According to the back cover, "It includes exercises--road maps to get you going--to help overcome the obstacles that may be in your way: writer's block, fear of rejection, silencing the critics, lack of time."

No comments: